Fred Lawshe Park

Fred Lawshe Park - 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street North

The site of South St. Paul’s City Hall from 1890 – 1956, Fred Lawshe Park is located next to present day city hall where 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street split at Grand Avenue. After his retirement in 1958 from his 40 year position as the South St. Paul High School industrial arts teacher, Fred Lawshe (1884-1971) went on to create and develop the Dakota County Historical Society. Mr. Lawshe was the first president of the Society and later became the first director and curator of the Dakota County Historical Museum, located across the street from the park that bears his name, until his death in 1971. Lawshe was actively involved in efforts to preserve and promote sites of historic significance throughout Dakota County and logged thousands of hours organizing collections, creating exhibits, and giving tours to student groups. Fred Lawshe Park is a great place to stop and take a break on your walk up or down the Grand Avenue hill.

Lawshe Park